05 February 2011

Day 34-35 Got myself a runner's watch.

On my rest day I went shopping for a runner's watch. The treadmill workout had gone so well two days ago. And I think a big part of that was being able to do the equal run/walk times using the console data. I thought that having a runner's watch with big numbers (remember, I have almost 60 year old eyes!) to keep track of my run/walk times outdoors would be really helpful. I found one and spent half the day learning how the watch worked! It's one of the simpler ones but still - quite a complex little computer for my wrist. And yes, it has a heart rate monitor as well as a Fitness Test option and records all your personal data and every bloody thing you do! Even beeps at you if your heart rate goes outside your "training zone" that has been entered. All I really wanted was a watch with big numbers that are easy to read! Ah well...

So with all this extra technology at my disposal (and a new top to wear!) you'd think I'd have an exceptional run! I was so excited as I set out, looking forward to exceeding the success of my treadmill run/walk a couple of days ago. However, my vision of loping easily down the beach was dashed when I found a very high tide and a wicked easterly wind blowing in which had me scurrying up to the top of the dunes and down to the inside track for shelter. I suppose I could try to blame it on the tide, the wind, the uneven surfaces, the sun in my eyes, ... let's see what else can I think of to blame? Fact is, I felt knocked back and just couldn't get going. So, repeating my 5 minute run / 5 minute walk for 5km wasn't going to happen. I quickly decided to continue the strategy but switched to 2 minute walk / 2 minute run for most of the time. I still managed the final sprint from the corner and through the gate.

I felt so disappointed in myself! Where's the progress? Doubts once more crept in. But Bruce's words give me some hope. He talks about how his body can be different every time he goes out running. The conditions can all be exactly the same. Same route, clothes, shoes, weather, food, time of day.  And, sometimes it is easy and sometimes it is hard. A bit like life?! Managing the internal is a key to putting one foot in front of the other.

Judy's Thoughts: I've heard that running takes place 90% in the mind. When I first heard this I was skeptical and thought that was pretty high but am now beginning to get an inkling of what that means when applied to physical effort.  

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear about the watch....will be a BIG motivator! And it keeps track of your HR....excellent! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete