13 April 2011

Day 102- 104 So what comes next? Explore what 5km means.

Thanks everyone for your messages of congratulations about running my 1st 5km! 40 minutes of non-stop running seems like a miracle to me! I am surprised at how many people expressed that there had never been any doubt in their mind that I could do it. I sure had doubts but I guess it was me putting in the km's and feeling the un-cooperative lungs in the beginning!

And the main question from people seems to be - now that you've achieved your goal, what comes next? 6km? 10km? half marathon?!

I've been thinking this through quite a bit and realise that I actually haven't yet reached my goal. My goal is to run 5km on 4th June this year - my 60th birthday. To do that I will have to keep up the commitment to running regularly. I have no desire to increase the distance or length of time I spend in my pretty shoes (now a bit dusty and worn!)  However, I can explore what 5km means to me and try out the various ways that it can be done. Faster? Effortlessly? Uphill? Over different terrain? Alone? In an organised race? In another country? With music wired into my ears? Any other ideas?

So today I headed out by myself and chose to run for a shorter distance. I missed my running buddy and found that running alone isn't so much fun or interesting.

Judy's Thoughts: So how many differnet ways can I run 5kms? And, I can always change my mind and go for a marathon. Now wouldn't that ... well, words fail me!

No comments:

Post a Comment